One of Singapore’s first ladies of bass music, A/K/A Sounds (Amanda Keisha Ang) is a well-established figure on the city-state’s electronic music scene.
She’s also part of ATTAGIRL, an all-girl collective aimed at bringing together women in arts and music, who are also responsible for some of the livliest parties in this part of Asia and beyond. A little while ago we caught up with A/K/A to find out her 8 tracks for almost every occasion.
1. My tune of the moment: Backchat – Kahn & Neek. “Been really getting into incorporating more dancehall into my sets, so this gem has been stuck in my head.”
2. The first tune I ever bought: Gangsta’s Paradise – Coolio feat. L.V. “I got super hooked to this song after watching the film Dangerous Minds – back then I was 10 and didn’t really know how to persuade my father to buy a rap CD, so I asked him to get me this Grammy Award compilation which featured the track.”
4. The tune I’d play Anytime: Organ Donor (Extended Overhaul) – DJ Shadow.
5. Favourite tune of the 80’s: Lookout Weekend – Debbie Deb. “Because of all the lazer sounds.”
7. An underrated tune from Asia: Fly – Vandetta Vandetta. “This girl is one of my favourite Singaporean artistes. She has an amazing voice and she’s also a very lovely person. This is from her debut self-titled EP Vandetta.”
8. The tune I’d play at my funeral: With A Little Help from my Friends – Joe Cocker. “This song should play when my friends carry my casket out for sure.”
Latest mix by A/K/A: